Fastest Growing Facebook demographic is …over 65!
I was invited this morning to a private breakfast with Sheryl Sandberg COO of Facebook worldwide. This is a beautiful, smart, vibrant woman (with two young children) that happens to be running the fastest growth company in the world. Her non-profit passion is to help women develop and she is very involved in an organization called “women for women” in third world countries….later today she is hosting a luncheon in Toronto for young women to discuss their hopes and dreams.
It was fascinating to hear her insight into the “fastest growth company ever” and what the future holds. Here is what she talked about today:
- The world is social.
- Friends tell friends…everything. Everything is better when it is about you and your friends.
- Today’s consumer demands a two way conversation. All business is now “personal”. Consumers are your marketers.
- Brands matter….communicate what your brand is.
- Make everything one to one.
- There are 550 million active Facbook users around the world.
- 16 million Canadians active on Facebook every month.
- 10 million active Facebook users every single day.
- 82% of Canadian internet population visits Facebook every month. On average Canadians spend about 7 hours a month on the site.
- 1/3 of all access in Canada is via mobile which makes users twice as active.
- If Facebook was a country it would be the third largest in the world with a gigger population than US, Germany and Japan combined.
- Average Canadian has 190 friends (greater than the global average of 130).
- When you see your friend’s name/picture beside an item, you are 4 times more likely to buy it
- Teenage kids don’t email …they Facebook. The kids understand the privacy issue much better than adults.
- Facebook is the number 1 mobile app and 50% use their devices for mobile browsing time.
- Where do people get their info? Not from the wisdom of crowds but from the wisdom of their friends.
- Facebook is content agnostic ….they never push information.
- You can X out an ad anytime on Facebook.
- Fastest demographic on Facebook is 65 – grandparents love to post pictures of their grandchildren.
- Businesses: old school to push out marketing. Now you ask the questions….and answer them.
- Businesses: old school to launch a marketing plan. Instead ask “Hi, we are here…what should we put on our page?” Socialize.
- Businesses: no more upfront marketing planning…have a fluid plan that changes daily.
- Businesses: if you have a 12 day approval process for postings you need to get it down to 2 hours.
- Companies that will win have people that can post FAST.
- It doesn’t have to be perfect. Don’t control your brand….shape it. Consumers control your brand now.
- Don’t be perfect…be real.
- Businesses: Map out on a page where your customers spend their time. Now MAP out where you are marketing your brand.
- Next big headlines will be how cookies follow us everywhere we go (not Facebook but others). This is the big story.
- Zuckerberg is nice, funny, and a product genius of our time.
- Facebook is cash flow positive and plans to grow organically.
- Globally, Facebook is the number one place online we spend time (in Canada it is number 2 for some reason)
- More people play games on Facebook than the top 3 gaming companies combined.
- 8 of the top 10 global business leaders are now “social”.